(a) Administrative Powers
(1) To function as the administrative head of the Vidyalaya and to act as the Drawing and Disbursing Officer of the staff employed in the Vidyalaya, subject to detailed instructions given in this regard in the Accounts Code.
(2) To engage teachers on part time/ contractual basis as PRT/TGT/PGT subject to relevant instructions in this regard.
(3) To make appointments to Group D posts and to approve probation and grant confirmation of Group D employees in the Vidyalaya.
(4) To forward applications of Group C and D employees of the Vidyalaya for posts outside the Sangathan except posts abroad and to grant permission for registration with the Employment Exchange.
(5) To grant permission to Group C and D employees of the Vidyalaya for appearing at public examination.
(6) To implement the instructions and policies of the Sangathan in respect of curricular and co-curricular activities, and to take steps to bring about healthy development of the Vidyalaya in all fields.
(7) To administer the Vidyalaya on sound lines and to develop healthy teacher-pupil relationship.
(8) To be responsible for the proper maintenance of accounts and school records, service-books of teaching and non-teaching staff, returns and statistics as prescribed by the Sangathan from time to time.
(9) To look after the welfare of the employees of the Vidyalaya.
(10) To handle the official correspondence relating to the Vidyalaya and to furnish within the prescribed dates all returns and information required by the Sangathan.
(11) To formulate and to submit to the Assistant Commissioner for approval, proposals for teaching staff, furniture, laboratory equipment and teaching aids etc. well before the commencement of the academic session.
(12) To make all payments including salaries etc. of teachers and other staff in time and according to rules.
(13) To ensure that tuition fees, where levied and Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi (VVN) are realised and credited to the relevant Account in time.
(14) To make purchase of stores etc. required for the Vidyalaya in accordance with the prescribed procedure, to enter all such stores in Stock Register, to scrutinize the bills and make payment.
(15) To conduct physical verification of Vidyalaya property and stocks at least once a year and to inspect the stock registers occasionally to ensure their proper maintenance in accordance with the rules.
(16) To be responsible for proper utilization of the Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi for which a separate account shall be maintained. This account will be operated and the funds will be utilized in accordance with the rules laid down by the Sangathan from time to time.
(17) To make satisfactory arrangements for supply of drinking water and other facilities for tiffin time for the pupils and to ensure that the school building and its fixtures and furniture, office equipment, laboratories, play grounds, school garden etc. are properly and carefully maintained.
(18) To grant to his Vidyalaya local holidays, not exceeding seven in an academic year for educational and other bonafide purposes.
(19) To supervise, guide and control the work of the teaching and non-teaching staff of the Vidyalaya.
(20) To be overall in-charge of admissions in the Vidyalaya, preparation of school time-table, allocation of duties to teachers, provision of necessary facilities to teachers in the discharge of their duties and conduct of examinations and tests in accordance with the rules prescribed by the Sangathan from time to time.
(21) To plan the year’s academic work in advance in consultation with his colleagues and to hold subject committee and staff meetings at least once a month to review the work done during the month, and to assess the progress of the pupils.
(22) To help and guide teachers and promote their professional growth by actively encouraging their participation in courses designed for in-service training.
(23) To promote initiative of teachers for self-improvement and encourage them to undertake experiments which are educationally sound.
(24) To encourage teachers for study of the curriculum and syllabus in use with a view to analyse the objectives of teaching of various topics and adapting instructional programmes, with due regard to inter-subject co-ordination. Such study would be particularly necessary when a new curriculum or syllabus is introduced.
(25) To ensure that the teacher’s diary is maintained in a manner that (i) it helps the teacher in his day to day work and (ii) it helps others to understand and appreciate his work.
(26) To supervise class room teaching and secure co-operation and co-ordination amongst teachers of the same subject area as well as of other subjects.
(27) To provide special help and guidance to teachers newly entering the profession.
(28) To plan and prescribe a regular time-table for the scrutiny of pupils’ written work and home assignment and to ensure that their assessment and correction are carried out effectively.
(29) To make necessary arrangements for organising special instructions for the pupils according to their need.
(30) To inform the teachers about the new rating schedule which may be prescribed from time to time for assessing their yearly work. To evaluate their work objectively and also to bring to the notice of the Assistant Commissioner/ Sangathan meritorious work done or successful experiments undertaken by any teacher to improve the Vidyalaya.
(31) To organise and co-ordinate various co-curricular activities through the House System or in any other effective way.
(32) To periodically organise educational excursions after proper planning.
(33) To develop and organise the library resources and reading facilities in the Vidyalaya and ensure that the pupils and teachers have access to and use books and journals of established values and worth.
(34) To encourage the formation of parent teacher associations in order to establish contacts with and secure co-operation of parents/ guardians in the programmes of the Vidyalaya.
(35) To send regularly the progress reports of the students to their parents/ guardians and to show the answer books of half-yearly and session ending examination to the parents on demand.
(36) To promote amongst pupils physical well-being, high standards of cleanliness and healthy habits, and to arrange two medical examinations of the students in an year and send medical reports to parents/ guardians.
(37) To sanction increments of all staff of the Vidyalaya excluding Vice-Principals in the approved time scales.
(38) To sanction leave other than leave preparatory to retirement and refuse leave to teachers and non-teaching staff of the Vidyalaya in accordance with the rules laid down by the Sangathan.
(b) Financial Powers :
The financial powers of the Principal shall be as defined in the Accounts Code.